Chocolate Truffles… the easy way
What were you doing on the morning of January 1st? I was making chocolate truffles, as I hadn’t found the time to make them before Christmas, my Sister was visiting and I’d promised that I’d make some for her.
For Christmas I make my friends foodie things, this year there were biscuits, chilli jam, sweet nuts and the like, but one missing item from the hamper were chocolate truffles, I’d just run out of time this year!
Well the recipe doesn’t take much time, just a little planning as I tend to do them in three stages; Stage 1 – Making a Ganache; Stage 2 – Shaping; Stage 3 – Decorating.
Stage 1 – Making the Ganache.
Dark Chocolate Chilli Truffles
*Smash three small chillies in a pestle and mortar, if you don't have a pestle and mortar put the chillies in a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin. This is to release the flavour.*Add the chillies to the cream in a heat proof bowl and microwave on high for about 3 minutes, or until it has just boiled, alternatively you can do this on the hob.
* When the cream has just boiled take off heat and add the chocolate in small chunks and stir until all the chocolate has melted.
Allow to cool.
White Chocolate Cardamom Truffles
* Remove cardamom pod and grind the cardamom seeds
* Add the cardamom to the cream and heat as above
* Stir in white chocolate, the smaller the pieces the easier this will be as there is more chocolate this time.
Allow to cool
Stage 2 – Shaping
* Spoon about a teaspoon of the chocolate mixture into your hand and roll into a ball
* Place onto a plate, ready for decorating.
Stage 3 – Decorating
There are lots of things you can decorate your truffles with, ground nuts, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, gold leaf. My current favourites are;
* Drizzle meted dark chocolate onto the white chocolate balls in a random fashion
* Sprinkle edible glitter onto the dark chocolate balls
Enjoy… just don’t let your 2 year old get to them first!
& Just a wee note from my 3 year old, “The white chocolate truffles are delicious, but the dark chocolate chilli truffles are spicy and for big people only!”